Saturday 2 October 2010

Defeated

This was actually yesterday's card, the 5 of Swords from the Modern Medieval tarot deck.  Traditionally this is the card of 'Defeat'.  And even before I pulled it I knew yesterday was not going to be a good diet day.  I went out with my best friends for drinks and a Thai meal.  And I had no intention whatsoever of even trying to be 'good' diet-wise.

So fellow dieters - what did I have?  Well, my friend G and I started off at my house with a whole sharing-size pack of vegetable chips between us and a couple of glasses of wine.  That wasn't our fault though - the cab was late and we were hungry and just killing time (and diets!).

We got to the pub and met up with J and had more wine and a good old girlie natter before going to the Thai restaurant.  Thai is probably one of the least diet-friendly meals out you can have - coconut milk / cream, peanut sauce etc.  But - fellow dieters - I do feel that if you are going to blow the diet, then at least do it in style.  Let's not be half-hearted about busting the calories bank.

So some fish cakes, spring rolls, a green curry and more wine later later we're on our way to the cab rank to get home.  And that reminds me to look again at the card I drew.  Look at the characters in the picture, they don't exactly look like victorious warriors do they?  To me - they actually look a bit uncomfortable.  And that reminds of another meaning of the 5 of Swords - pyrrhic victory.

So yes - I did bust the diet completely and had a great time.  I knew I was going to.  And I don't regret it.  But I haven't actually beaten the diet at all.  In the end the diet will win, because I've probably now done some damage weight-wise that I'm going to have to undo.

I can't face pulling today's card yet - that's for later.  Still, at least the major arcana doesn't have a card that says 'Fat'!

No comments:

Post a Comment